Tuesday, June 30, 2009
P-51
As I was flying today, teaching instrument, looking for traffic, and frying in my own sweat, I saw two aircraft moving very fast across my field of vision. I was rather intrigued to see two planes flying so quickly and close together that I took a closer look. The design was unmistakable, a P-51 Mustang, a US fighter aircraft of 65 years ago. Despite its age, it is still a very impressive plane. I was circling at 8500 feet, approximately 4000 feet above the ground, and they both made a vertical climb to well past my altitude (they began the climb well below my altitude). As I watched this, I was amazed at the maneuverability and power of the Mustang. The thought also crossed my mind that if they were armed and wanted to take me, there would be nothing I could do to get away. It was truly a once in a lifetime sight. I've only seen a P-51 in flight once before at an airshow. Today I got to witness two of them in the air!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That's amazing!
ReplyDelete